Saturday, August 16, 2014

5 Things We as Nurses Want You to Know

Been thinking of a good blog post, since it's been a YEAR since I've published anything. (No, I didn't fall off the edge of the planet, I had a baby, and am SUPER busy, and honestly forgot about this ole' thing.)

With that being said...

Coming from a nurse that has worked in anywhere from a clinic, hospital or home health agency, there are a few things we want you, as a patient to know.

1.) DON'T LIE TO US.
Please. That only makes our jobs harder, when we have to guess or play the "read between the lines" game. You can't honestly expect me to believe you ate a small salad for lunch, when I just got a 400+ blood sugar on you. Also, we ask these questions so that we can provide you the BEST possible care we can. If you happen to "leave out" the fact that you have a substance abuse problem, and then go into cold sweats, heart palpitations and SEVERE nausea and vomiting half-way into my shift, I can't get you the help you need, quickly and efficiently. Just tell the truth, this is my job.

2.) Ever heard of deodorant??
PLEASE. I know you probably don't feel like sunshine is shining out of your back end, but come on. When we're trying to get your temp, blood pressure and listen to lung/heart sounds, the strong stench of onions is NOT pleasant in any way, and frankly, I can't even concentrate on listening for your diastolic, because I'm holding my breath long enough to swim an entire Olympic pool.

3.) We have numerous patients, and only two arms/legs.
You asked for pain medication...10 minutes ago. You're getting frustrated and beginning to think we forgot you. What you don't know is, on our way to the pixus to retrieve said meds, there was a out of control patient two rooms down, that we had to assist. There was a code blue in the next hall. We are pulled in MANY directions, all at the same time. We don't WANT you to wait any amount of time for relief, we are trying our best, but do try to cut us some slack.

4.) When you are upset, or cry, we do too.
I know we seem strong and bulletproof on the outside, but we have emotions, just like the next person. I don't know how many times I've gone to the bathroom to cry, for you or another patient, or for your family. We feel your/their hurt too. We wish we could do something to offset the pain.

5.) We do NOT want to see your privates.
For real. I know you think you were a stud in your younger days, or depending on your age, last week. BUT, we are here to get you better, to provide exceptional care for you in your time of illness. The last thing I want to see is the "goods" in full display, when there is no good reason for them to be exposed (catheter, wound care, etc). It's not cute. It's not flattering. It's rude. If you wouldn't do it to a stranger in the local Wal-Mart, don't do it to us. Please.


These are just a few things that I've thought over my years in nursing, and i'm sure i'll come up with more, but for now, this is it. If you have any thoughts, suggestions or experiences, let me know!

PREPARING FOR A DIFFICULT SHIFT


I got meme this from: http://whatshouldwecallnursing.tumblr.com/page/2

SUPER FUNNY STUFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment